2011年8月19日 星期五

The Pearl-ch.1

This story talks about a Mexican Indian call Kino. His job is to dive and find pearl, he has a wife name Juana and a baby son call Coyotitio. One day, Coyotitio got positioned by a scorpion on his shoulder, so Juana, his mother, suck the venom out of his shoulder. They decided to bring their kids to the doctor, and everyone was surprised, because the doctor is kind of a higher class among them, so they wonder will he accept a request to help a little poor native boy.
Many people follow them as they went to see the doctor. When Kino got there, he ask the man working for the doctor to let them see the doctor, because his son is hurt. So he reported to the doctor and the doctor refused to heal them because they are poor.
There is a group problem inside the story, that that is the differences between the social class of the doctor and Kino. (page 96, 3 paragraph) Their race is like two seperate world. Kino may want to cross the line and enter the world of the doctor, (page 96, middle of 3 paragraph) but he can't, and the doctor simply just don't want to cross the line. (page 97, 4 sentence)

6 則留言:

  1. I think how you describe that the doctor and Kino are in separate worlds and that Kino wants to "cross the line to the doctor's world" is very creative. There is a question I want to ask. I wonder why you think that Kino and the natives are Mexican Indians because I don't think that the story talks about who the natives are.

    回覆刪除
  2. I have a question that is Kino's work is finding pearls cause I really don't know. I like the way you said Kino and the doctor are in the different worlds, but in this chapter I don't think that Kino wanted to join the doctor's world. I thought he was having a struggle between the respect and the emotion in his heart. I really like your expression.

    回覆刪除
  3. I like the way you condensed the story, your summary is brief and concise. Also the part you explained how their worlds are different is really good. But I want to ask from where you can know that KIno finds pearls for living?

    回覆刪除
  4. Well, the reason that I think Kino was a pearl fisherman is because of the story content. The setting and the thing he chose to gain money let me assume that he search pearl for a living. And the reason that I know Kino may be a Mexican Indian is from class discussion and content clue. I didn't mean that Kino want to join the doctor's world, what I meant is Kino want to step over the line that separate their world because he want to save his son. Is that clear??

    回覆刪除
  5. Samuel, good question re: not knowing if the people were Mexican indians. I don't know that the story explicitly said it, but we know it takes place in Mexico, and we know that Kino's people have been under the rule of the Doctor's people. Safe to assume, then, he's a Native American.

    回覆刪除
  6. TOAST Score: 19/25

    T: 5/5. Excellent.
    O: 5/5. Very good technical writeup, with the important details from the story.
    A: 5/5.
    S: 0/5.
    T: 4/5.

    回覆刪除